Gallops stakes for the new season will return to pre COVID-19 levels
Stake levels for the new racing season will return to pre-COVID levels, New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing announced today.
CEO Bernard Saundry said prize money would remain consistent with what it was before racing stopped because of the coronavirus pandemic.
“We need however to be aware that we continue to operate in an uncertain environment and as an industry we have to be nimble enough to make adjustments if required,” Saundry said.
“We will work closely with the TAB to address any variations that may occur during the upcoming season,” he said.
“At the same time though, we need to provide encouragement for our owners, and we will be continuing with two initiatives introduced during our return to racing.”
NZTR introduced payment back to 14th place and no nomination or acceptance fees as an acknowledgement of the difficult times experienced by owners during the lockdown period. Both will continue from August 1.
On the programming front, August and September will see the return of maiden, three-year-old and R65 races. Programmes will still include Open Entry races to maximise opportunities for horses, however this will be reviewed throughout that period.
More news in Gallops
Sam Collett test driving Platinum Rapper on Friday for Winter Cup - and she’s at great odds
RaceForm is back next week with former Trackside presenter Liz Whelan as editor
Lisa: Slow footing will help consistent Lincoln Town go fast at Hastings on Wednesday
It’s going to be very sticky at Awapuni but Temyia’s claim will help Lincoln Farms’ pair
Our runners this week: How our trainer rates them
Saturday at Hawera
Race 7: Lincoln Dreamer
“He has drawn 10 and because he is on the ballot I haven’t got a rider for him yet. He is looking great and has continued to work well. I won’t make a decision on whether to start him until race morning though as he needs a track better than the heavy 11s that he has been running on. The track at Hawera was a dead 5 this morning but there is rain forecast so I expect it will come back to the slow range. I will not run him if the track ends up any worse.”
Race 10/11: Almo Street
“They split the rating 65 1600 with so many nominations. He has made the field in race 10, the consolation, and is second ballot in race 11. If he makes the field in race 11 he must run there. Rain is forecast and he will not line up if the track is heavy. His work has been very good and he has taken fitness from his last runs.”